Monday, November 7, 2011

Visiting School Sites

Hi everybody,

Over the last month I have had the opportunity to visit a few schools throughout the district during their lunches or as part of visiting team.  I would like to thank all of the teachers, paraeducators, office staff and parents I have spoken with over the month. The most important information I have learned about ABC has been from my lunch meetings....thanks to all. Here are some of the schools or groups I've met with over the month:

Gonzalvas: We had discussions about professional development scheduling. Also how kindergarten facilities were designed for 64 students but are now being used to accomidate 80+ students so there are issues with playground equipment and bathroom avaliability. Great staff with a great union bulletin board and a great atmosphere (I really liked the pictures of the retired teachers on the northern wall). Thanks DON!

Whitney: Thanks to Jenny and Paul for introducing me to the Whitney staff during one of their nacho food brunches. I was able to discuss concerns with a few some of the teachers. The staff puts off a great energy they are enthusiastic about being more involved in the union discussions. THANK YOU Whitney!

Kennedy: Staggered lunches that allowed for many one on one conversations and discussions This staff also wanted to talk about the number of days they have been out of the class at the beginning of the year due to professional development. Five days out is about 3.4% of the days you have to prepare your students for the CST testing. Is this a good use of time or could our training days be better used after testing in May? Your thoughts? Thanks to Susan for setting this day up and to principal Valentine for taking the time to talk with me later in the day.

Haskell: Thanks Leonore for inviting me for lunch to talk with the Haskell teachers. I was able to have a good conversation with a group of teachers who want to make a difference as Haskell. We batted around ideas some directions they would like to see their school heading.

Head Start: Thanks Arlene for setting up this informative meeting with the head start teachers. I found this meeting very informative as I continue to learn about the paperwork and demands put on our head start teachers. I would put their paperwork load right up there with special education IEPs in their length and intensity.

Artesia High School:  What can I say, good conversations with good people. Thank you so much for the food and your warm welcome. It was a blast to see my good friends again. I hope that I can always support you like you've supported me over the years.

More to come!

In Solidarity,

Ray Gaer
President, ABC Federation of Teachers




No comments:

Post a Comment