Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CUPSS (Coalition for Public Schools and Services)

Our first electronic negotiations survey went out today. It is part of my overall plan to make our use of data for negotiations timely and easy to retrieve. I hope everyone will take the time to fill out the survey because all teachers deserve to have their preferences heard. We should have the results by Wednesday of next week.

The state budget will be one of the items on the agenda for the building representative meeting on June 2nd. The negotiating team will work on a budget flyer or eblast shortly so stay tuned.

other news.....

Today the CUPSS meeting took place in the downstairs meeting room at the AFT Office. The Coalition discussed calendar issues and the District budget. I find it fitting that I get to mention that the CUPSS meeting discussed the calendar since it was my "Easter Bunny" fiasco four years ago that was the catalyst for creating the coalition in the first place. That year all parties involved: ABCFT, AFSCME, CSEA, and the District learned that we really did need to begin to communicate with each other and that it was very detrimental for us not to talk about the impact of one groups choices vs. the reality of what other groups had to deal with. Man, I learned so much that year and communication became my new platform for survival.

That's why I started this blog. If you really want to know the history and the things that are going on behind the scenes this should be the place to visit. I find it a shame that the rich history and wisdom of our veteran teachers is often lost once they sail off into the retirement sunset. For instance let me tell you about the people in CUPSS. I just want to mention a few of the many key people of the coalition.

First, there is the AFSCME President Pat who is retiring shortly who can recall in great detail the times before the 1990's ABC strike. From him I learned that all of the unions were once part of a strong coalition that worked closely and united for the good of their unit members and the District. That is why ABC was an educational powerhouse in the 1970's and 1980's and those who knew good teaching knew about ABCUSD.  The strike killed that coalition  and it took 25 years to revive what was lost and once again ABC is a beacon of hope for other districts. Before I learned about those times from Pat, I thought a union coalition was unheard of in ABC. How naive of me. There are no original thoughts. My hope is that we will not make the same mistakes of the past and that the CUPSS coalition will only become a stronger political force for collaborative change among all public workers.

Then there is Laura Rico who is retiring on June 30. Laura has been at he helm of ABCFT for 18 years and has 38 years of working in the ABC District, not to mention the fact that she's a local gal and she has many stories about the cow pastures of Cerritos and the rainy muddy days of Hawaiian Gardens. Not only has she been the President of ABC, but she is the collective memory of her union. For years I just sat in the background and listened to the experiences and lessons she has passed on to those around her. I am thankful that she will continue to be an active AFT National Vice President for the next year because AFT needs to hold on to people like Laura Rico. She is one of the key founders of the Educational Collaboration Movement. Laura still has a message in her heart and I don't see her to be one to ever fade.

Lastly, I will mention the Regional Rep for AFSCME Pete. When I think of Pete I think of those grizzled platoon commanders who have had the fortune to survive for too long on the battlefield. When I first met Pete he was sceptical of the union coalition, but as he has watched all of the CUPSS members work through their skeletons of the past he has become one of the greatest advocates for union collaboration. Sometimes it seems like he is tired of fighting and that he sees that working collaboratively with great caution can also produce favorable results. Perhaps I've said too much, but Pete is extraordinary at pointing out how serious the stakes are for our members and that we need to keep our eyes on the prize, the good of all our unit members.

There are others that have just as interesting personalities that I will speak on at another time. I was inspired by these people today and I thought it fitting to write them into the ABC cyber history book for all to see. These are all heroes fighting for families.

In solidarity!

Ray Gaer

No comments:

Post a Comment